Monday, September 16, 2013

VOCABULARY 5

Definitions:

adroit - clever or skillful in using the hands or minds
amicable - having a spirit of friendliness
averse - having a strong dislike of or opposition to something
belligerent - hostile and aggressive
benevolent - well meaning and kindly
cursory - hasty and therefore not thorough or detailed
duplicity - decitefulness
extol - praise enthustiastically
feasible - possible to do easily or conveniently
grimace - an ugly, twisted expression on a person's face; showing disgust or pain
holocaust - destruction or slaughter on a mass scale
impervious - not allowing fluid to pass through
impetus - the force or energy with which a body moves
jeopardy - danger of loss, harm, or failure
meticulous - showing great attention to detail; very careful and precise
nostalgia - a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past
quintessence - the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class
retrogress - go back to an earlier state, typically a worse one
scrutinize - examine or inspect closely and thoroughly
tepid - only slightly warm; lukewarm


Sentences:

I am quite adroit when it involves working with cars.

After meeting several of the new foreign exchange students, I noticed that they all had an amicable attitude.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, several of the soldiers had an averse views towards the Japanese.

Most consider pit bulls to be belligerent animals, however they lack to see their true nature.

Even though his actions were dangerous, I knew he had benevolent intentions.

I finished my essay in a cursory manner because I had set off my essay until the end of the week.

Julius Caesar was murdered brutally due to the duplicity of Brutus and his accomplices. 

The valedictorian of my school was praised quite extol for his academic status.

How is it that others can write essays feasibly, while I struggle to make an introduction?

Isn't it ironic that Grimace name means to have a twisted expression, while Grimace himself is always smiling?

Anne Frank's Diary is one of the most popular books about the life during the Holocaust.

Creating dams were essential in the twentieth century to provide energy, but they had to be impervious so water would not leak.

My teacher's encouragement was the impetus that led me to attend college.

My drivers license and life were in jeopardy because I was driving while intoxicated.

Those who put time in drawing, must have a meticulous attribute.

Some adults show nostalgia when they play music from when they were growing up.

How boring would it be to be in a quintessence classroom with the same type of people? 

The survivors of the nuclear explosion retrogress into a state of anarchy.

Edgar Allan Poe was a harsh critic, who scrutinized the works of several authors.

I don't like showering in scorching hot water, I prefer more tepid water.

No comments:

Post a Comment