- The story revolves around ex-convict Jean Valjean and the struggles he faces throughout his life. The inciting incident is when Fantine dies and Jean Valjean goes to jail.
- I think that the central message of the story is the fight for freedom.
- The tone of the book is criticism towards society.
- Jean Valjean is an ex-convict and has different names that he goes by. Cosette is the daughter of Fantine and lived with the Thénardiers until Valjean saved her.
- The diction and syntax of Hugo is early English from the 1800s.
- Valjean is considered a round character because we follow his journey and are able to see his thoughts.
- When I read this book long ago, I felt like I was reading about the sad tales of people, than actually meeting them.